Fun Ways to Teach Kids Good Dental Hygiene Habits
Importance of Early Dental Visits
Some think that caring for baby teeth is not necessary as they will soon be replaced with adult teeth. However, the truth is dental care should start even before the first set of teeth appears. Baby teeth save space for the adult teeth. Also, any dental issues that may develop during children’s early years can continue to affect them as they grow older.
You can make sure your little ones are protected from any form of dental issues. Take them to the dentist so their teeth can be checked. Letting them meet the dental staff will also help them feel comfortable with regular dental visits.
Showing Kids Good Dental Hygiene Habits
Teaching kids good dental habits starts with setting a good example. Let them see how you care for your oral health.
- Plan a dental care routine with the little ones.
- Let them watch you as you brush and floss.
- Take them with you to the dental office so they can meet everyone and get used to seeing a dentist.
- Use brushing and flossing as a playtime. Check their teeth after brushing and give rewards for a job well done.
- Limit junk food and sugary snacks. Show your children that healthy alternatives such as carrots and apples taste great too.
- If you have older kids, let them join in the dental care routine too. Encourage them to show their younger sibling how fun brushing can be.
- Praise your child when they do a good job at brushing. For instance, they’re able to cover all teeth surfaces.
- Design a chart you can mark with the kids every time they brush and floss properly. It’s important that they brush gently and do so for at least two minutes.
- Let them choose their own toothbrush design. Please note that toothbrush should be replaced every three or four months. Do a countdown with them before they get to shop for a new brush again.
- Always stay positive about dental care. Avoid punishing your little ones should they be resistant at times. Be patient. Otherwise, they might associate dental care with stress or fear.
Your family dentist in Red Deer, Image Dental Care, will be there for you and your little one. If you have any concerns about your child’s smile, please let us know. Teaching kids good dental hygiene habits is easier when you have dental professionals working with you.
Visit Image Dental Care today for a comprehensive dental checkup.