It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when looking for a new dentist. It helps to make your search local so you can begin with dental offices in your area.
If you’re looking for a dentist for your family, you’ll want a practice that’s easily accessible from home, especially if you’re taking children or elderly members with you.
Here are more tips to help you find the right dentist for your family's needs.
- Check their practice hours. No matter how great a dental office is, it might not be the best option if you’re struggling to book an appointment with them. When comparing offices, check out practice hours to see if they match your availability. You might prefer dental offices with evening and weekend hours if you’re working full-time or are with children. Ask if you can book multiple appointments at a single time or if they allow rescheduling in case something urgent comes up and you need to delay your visit.
- Ask for recommendations. Ask where your family or friends go for their dental needs. Can they refer you to a dentist in the Red Deer area that can accommodate your specific needs? You may be concerned about your child who can’t sit still or family members with special needs. Use information from people within your network as an additional resource.
- Inquire about background and experience. Once you have narrowed down your options, it’s time to know more about the professional background of the dental team. How long has the dental office been in the area? Who makes up the dental team? Check their professional background and experiences to know if they have the qualifications that you need. You might be looking for someone with a specialization, say orthodontics.
- Read patient reviews. Go beyond the testimonials posted on the office’s website and see what patients have to say about the dental team. Check out patient reviews on trusted third-party review websites. It’s okay to find a few negative reviews but check how the dental team handled them.
- Meet the dental team. Book an initial consultation to meet the dental team and see if you feel comfortable working with them. It’s great to find a dentist that your family can grow with. How the staff or everyone in the office treats you and makes you feel is important. You need to be able to raise concerns about your dental health without worrying you'll be judged. You want professionals who listen and offer genuine advice based on their knowledge and experience. You want every dental visit to feel as though you’re reuniting with a friend - stress-free and as pleasant as possible.
- Tour the dental office. If you see yourself going to the dental office with children, it helps if there are amenities to keep everyone busy. By touring the office, you’ll see how the staff extends assistance and courtesy to their patients. For example, they may have TV sets or computers in the waiting area. They may also be offering free beverages or a play space for little children. You want your children to enjoy being in the office so you can avoid having to ‘force’ them to go.
- Ask about payment options. Check if the dental office accepts your insurance plan and your preferred payment method. You might also want to ask if they’re following the dental fee guide in your area. If you’re looking to undergo major dental procedures, see if they’re offering payment plans.
Finding the best dentist for you and your family requires time and research. You want a team that motivates you to care for your smile, understands fears or anxieties that you may have, and helps you make the best decisions for your oral health.
If you need a new dentist in the Red Deer area, we invite you to visit our office here at Image Dental Care. We offer direct billing for insurance and our dental team speaks 9 languages.
Contact us today at (403) 342-5800.
We’re excited to meet you and your family!